4月 07, 2020
Sanitize Your Groceries
Whether you shop for your groceries online or go out to your preferred grocery store, it's important to disinfect and follow a protocol to prevent the spread of potentially harmful microbes. Here are a few reminders:
Shopping Online: Tips and Protocol When Receiving Deliveries
Recommended: Go cashless. Pay online (e.g. digital wallet, credit/debit card, direct debit payment) as much as possible to avoid contact.
If you instead opt to pay via Cash on Delivery (COD), here are a few tips:
- ALWAYS WEAR MASK when receiving items
- MAINTAIN PHYSICAL DISTANCE (>6 ft.) at all times. You may ask the delivery person to set down the package in front of your house so you can pick it up. Place your cash inside an envelope and put it at an area where the delivery person can collect it with the minimum 6 feet (1.8m) distance from you to avoid contact.
- WEAR DISPOSABLE or REUSABLE GLOVES if you have them. If using reusable gloves, make sure to remove immediately and properly disinfect right away or segregate for laundry
- Follow condominium / building / village / official courier protocol
Shopping Out: Protocol When Getting Home
- Take off shoes before entering the house
- Spray alcohol on top and bottom of shoes, cellphone, glasses, keys, work utensils, computer, door knob (in case you touched them)
- Throw away any receipts or papers
- Go to where you can take your clothes off and put them in the washer.
- Don't touch or sit in any chairs or beds
- Go to the bathroom to take a shower, brush your teeth, etc.
- Now you can HUG your FAMILY
- IMMEDIATELY SORT and SEGREGATE items for DISINFECTION - dry goods that are kept in storage
- Use household disinfectant spray, cleaner or alcohol
- PROTECT HANDS with gloves (remove safely avoiding cross-contamination) or WASH HANDS IMMEDIATELY after sorting
- DESIGNATE a SORTING AREA and ALWAYS DISINFECT IT
- THROW AWAY DELIVERY or GROCERY PACKAGING IMMEDIATELY
Here's a guide from Dr. Sanjay Gupta (CNN):